Wednesday, July 15, 2015

by any other name

My parents had three boys in rapid succession: 1944 Bobby, 1945 Buddy, 1947 Buster. I was the Bobby - through graduation from high school in 1962. That August / September I arrived at Wake Forest University and a senior opined: you should be called "Bob." I graduated from college in 1966, attended graduate school, worked 1974-1985 at a large insurance company in New Jersey. The next job was as computer consultant for a contractor supporting Pentagon (U.S. Navy) and because of my good work, the manager who worked for the government called me "Dr. Bob" (I have a desk name plate to that effect). After the birth of our first grandchild in 2007, when the grandson learned to speak the language, he named my spouse "Grandma Bee" so I became "Grandpa 'B'" and carry that name still and into our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment